Welcome to the home of the Hawks, here on the Internet site for J. Robert Hendricks Elementary school. Our highly performing campus of nearly 500 students is located in the strong community of Tucson. You'll find us at the central, southern part of Arizona, which offers bright and sunny skies and warm weather all year long.
Hendricks Elementary serves kindergarten to 6th grade. We take great pride and care in teaching your children every day. Our teachers and staff know that encouragement and challenging work build great minds and character. We are proud to be an A+ School!
Dear Hawk Families,
Welcome to fall! The monsoons have subsided and the weather is cooling down. This month is a busy one at Hendricks. Students began the month taking our District Assessment Plan in reading and math. This new assessment is exposing our students to the newer, more rigorous standards. In reading, students are experiencing fewer passages, yet more detailed questions. Our math DAP is requiring students solve multi-step problems. This year our DAP is not a predictor on spring assessment because we still do not have a state assessment. We will keep you posted.
- First, second, and third grade Parent Literacy Nights were a great success. Thanks to all the teamwork with our Title teachers. We greatly appreciate all of the families who came out to participate. We saw an increase in this year’s attendance. Watch for other parent nights soon.
- No school on Friday, October 10 for teacher record day. Teachers sent home your conference request forms. Be sure to schedule a time to meet with your child’s teacher during conferences. Conferences are scheduled Monday - Wednesday, October 13, 14, and 15. These are early release days for students. If you are unable to schedule on these days, contact teachers to hold either a phone conference or schedule another day.
- Walk/Ride to school day is on Wednesday October 15. A chance for students to walk or ride their bike or scooter to school as part of the Pima County initiative. One student will win a scooter!
- PTO gum day - October 15 is our PTO gum day. Students can purchase a license to chew gum at school. Gum will also be for sale. Help support our fantastic PTO.
- Box Tops - Keep saving your box tops in order to support our school collection on October 28.
- Red Ribbon/Wellness Week kicks off October 20-24. STUCO has teamed up with the Wellness Committee to host an educational week full of events at lunch.
- Smile - Picture day will be on Monday, November 3. Be sure to dress to impress on this day. Packets will go home for all students soon.
- Halloween - Hendricks will celebrate on Friday, October 31, 2014. Teachers will communicate with families regarding party schedules.
- S4S - Our Skills for Success program is off to a great start. Thank you to all families who have signed up students for an extended day of school. We have Intervention programs running after school on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday with a focus on increasing student achievement in reading and math. The new Move on When Reading Arizona revised statutes regarding promotion and retention of third grade students goes into effect this year. The newly revised law states that a student shall not be promoted from the third grade if the students obtain a FFB score on the AIMS reading test. Our partnership is more important now than ever before. I encourage all parents who have a student struggling in (K-3) school to make contact with your child's teacher and find out what you can do together at home as part of the team to improve your child's skills.
- Annual Fall Title I Meeting - Come and find out all the great things happening in our Title I program at 2:30 p.m. on Tuesday, October 21, 2014, in the Library.
I also wanted to share this parenting website with you. This site is focused entirely on parenting; it is run by a doctor, and there are no fees or advertising.
Teamwork is the Essential Piece,
Peter M. Wells